Mozilla plans to launch Firefox 57.zero to the secure channel on November 14, 2017. The brand new model of the net browser is a serious launch because it introduces large modifications to the browser’s efficiency, interface, and add-on compatibility.
Briefly: the brand new model of Firefox is lots quicker than earlier variations, replaces the Australis interface launched in Firefox 29 with the brand new Photon interface, and drops help for the legacy add-on system to give attention to WebExtensions.
- Firefox 57.zero comes with a design refresh known as Photon.
- Legacy add-ons and themes should not appropriate anymore.
- Efficiency enhancements because of Undertaking Quantum.. Mozilla states that Firefox 57 is 2 occasions as quick as Firefox 52.zero.
Firefox 57.zero obtain and replace
Firefox 57.zero will probably be launched on November 14, 2017 to the browser’s secure channel. Current Firefox customers could have the browser up to date robotically on the day, supplied that automated updates is enabled.
Firefox customers can run handbook checks for updates within the browser with a click on on Menu > Assist > About Firefox.
The discharge is already on Mozilla’s FTP server, however it’s best to attend for the general public launch announcement by Mozilla. Mozilla will replace the obtain hyperlinks as effectively on November 14.
Direct obtain hyperlinks for Firefox set up recordsdata:
Firefox 57.zero Adjustments
Firefox 57 might be a very powerful launch for Mozilla in an extended, very long time. The group eliminated the previous add-ons system from Firefox, refreshed the interface, and built-in some components of Undertaking Quantum within the browser.
Firefox 57.zero comes with a modified interface, the primary main refresh of Firefox’s design for the reason that launch of the controversial Australis interface in Firefox 29.zero.
Photon is extra than simply an interface overhaul nonetheless as it’s a part of the Mozilla Quantum challenge. Because of this Photon is not only a brand new paint for Firefox, however one thing deeper that took elements equivalent to pace and responsiveness under consideration.
So far as the interface is anxious, Firefox 57.zero introduces modifications to the New Tab web page, the Firefox menu, themes, and customization choices.
Firefox’s theme has modified; for those who used a earlier model of the browser you’ll instantly discover the modifications. Model 57.zero of the browser comes with a light-weight and darkish theme you could swap between, and choices to alter the theme’s density to the touch or compact modes. Compact makes use of a little bit bit much less of area, contact is optimized for gadgets with contact capabilities.
The Firefox menu continues to be at its default location, however it isn’t made up of icons anymore however of textual content hyperlinks (with icons as a substitute). The menu is mounted, that means that you just can not add or take away objects from it anymore.
Customise choices are nonetheless supplied although as you possibly can see on the screenshots above. You’ll be able to nonetheless drag and drop many interface components round, or take away them solely from the browser UI. New objects may be positioned on the primary toolbar or a brand new “>>” menu designed for objects that you don’t need positioned on the toolbar however in attain anyway.
While you navigate to a web site you’ll discover the brand new “…” menu that’s positioned contained in the handle bar. That is the brand new Web page Actions menu that lists choices to work together with the web page immediately.
You discover choices to bookmark the web page, or reserve it to pocket, and choices to repeat or e mail the hyperlink, ship the tab to a linked machine, or take a screenshot there.
Mozilla added dupes of the primary two choices contained in the handle bar as effectively. A right-click on the entry, e.g. “save web page to Pocket” shows choices so as to add or take away the icon from that spot.
The New Tab Web page and Begin Web page of Firefox 57 is predicated on Exercise Stream now. Exercise Stream was launched as a Take a look at Pilot experiment earlier than Mozilla carried out the performance within the browser.
The web page encompasses a search, high websites, highlights, Pocket suggestions (solely choose international locations) and snippets that Mozilla shows. Firefox customers can customise the New Tab web page with a click on on the cogwheel icon to show or conceal any of the weather (eradicating all leaves a clean web page).
Customers who need extra management can set up the New Tab Override extension by Sören Hentzschel.
Photon is extra than simply the visuals that you just see on the screenshots.Mozilla tweaked animations, icons and plenty of different issues to enhance the responsiveness of the browser.
The second large change in Firefox 57 is that components of Firefox’s new internet engine Quantum are carried out within the browser. Mozilla said earlier that Quantum made Firefox twice as quick for some operations when in comparison with the latest Firefox 52.zero. That is a formidable achieve.
Quantum makes use of expertise that trendy processors provide. It helps parallelism and different options, and makes use of these to make Firefox quicker.
Quantum CSS, often known as Stylo, is the primary main Quantum part that Mozilla built-in into Firefox.
With out going into too many particulars, Quantum CSS makes use of parallel computing and different enhancements to make the dealing with of CSS in Firefox lots quicker.
Mozilla revealed in September that Firefox engineers eliminated a complete of 468 points associated to hurry, bottlenecks as an example, within the previous months.
You’ll be able to try this overview on Mozilla Hacks for particulars on that, and this text on Quantum typically on the identical web site.
Quantum makes the browser extra secure on the similar time, as Quantum Compositor was moved to its personal course of because of the earlier integration of Electrolysis (multi-process Firefox).
Briefly: Firefox feels lots snappier and quicker.
Adjustments to the Firefox add-on system
Firefox 57 doesn’t help legacy add-ons or themes anymore. Firefox customers who ran these in earlier variations of the browser will discover that these have been disabled in the course of the replace to Firefox 57.
So, you probably have up to date to Firefox you could discover that a few of your add-ons have been disabled, and that’s why.
Add-ons and themes which were disabled are listed beneath legacy extensions on about:addons. Choices to take away them and to make use of the brand new “discover a substitute” function are supplied.
There isn’t any assure substitute is obtainable nonetheless. The Basic Theme Restorer extension as an example can not have a substitute as WebExtensions can not replicate its performance.
Briefly: Firefox 57 helps solely WebExtensions. Loads of standard extensions have been ported, however there’s an equally massive variety of standard extensions that haven’t but. Some won’t ever be ported for one motive or one other (due to developer disinterest, a scarcity of APIs or as a result of they’re deserted by their developer).
Mozilla plans to help legacy add-ons all through the lifetime of Firefox ESR 52. The Firefox ESR 59 launch will not help legacy add-ons anymore, and Mozilla famous already that there will not be a swap to allow legacy help once more.
New Permissions in Preferences
You discover (some) permission controls within the choice in Firefox 57. You’ll be able to management location, digicam, microphone and notifications immediately there.
Load about:preferences#privateness and scroll all the way down to the permissions part. A click on on settings shows all websites that requested entry to the linked function, e.g. location. You’ll be able to take away choose web sites or all web sites from the itemizing at any time.
There may be nonetheless some work to be finished on this regard although, as controls lack choices that Firefox’s basic permissions system supplied (eliminated by Mozilla).
Different Firefox 57.zero modifications
- The Share button has been eliminated in Firefox 57. You’ll be able to set up the Firefox add-on Share Backported to carry it again.
- The autoscroll function of Firefox makes use of asynchronous scrolling in Firefox 57. This could enhance the smoothness of the scrolling of this mode.
- The Linux safety sandbox is ready to the next (extra restrictive) stage in Firefox 57.zero. It blocks file system reads and writes on Linux programs. Firefox customers on Linux who run into points after the improve to the brand new model can modify the sandbox stage accordingly (see recognized points beneath for directions).
- Urgent the middle-mouse button within the content material space on Unix programs doesn’t navigate to URLs anymore by default.
- Help for AMD VP9 video decoder that improves video playback with decrease energy consumption.
- Monitoring Safety is now out there as an possibility for all websites. It was beforehand solely out there for websites in non-public searching mode.
- Firefox 57 ships with out seen search bar within the interface. You’ll be able to allow it beneath about:preferences#search on new installations. Previous installations shouldn’t be affected by this.
Firefox 57.zero Points
Firefox 57.zero has three unresolved points that will have an effect on customers of the browser:
- Firefox customers who function display readers are suggested to make use of Firefox ESR till efficiency points are resolved.
- Firefox could crash on Home windows and Linux programs with Intel Broadwell-U processors. Mozilla means that Home windows customers make certain the latest updates are put in, and that Linux customers ought to make certain the distribution package deal for Intel microcode is put in.
- Firefox for Home windows customers who use the browser over Distant Desktop Connections (RDP) could haven’t any audio as it might have been disabled resulting from safety restrictions. Mozilla’s help web page suggests altering the extent of the Firefox sandbox to 2.
- Load about:config?filter=safety.sandbox.content material.stage within the browser’s handle bar.
- Double-click on the choice and set its worth to 2.
- Older variations of the Japanese Enter Methodology Editor ATOK IME could trigger crashes, and are disabled due to that on 64-bit variations of Firefox on Home windows. Mozilla suggests to improve to a more moderen model or one other IME.
- Visible refresh of DevTools themes.
- New and re-designed Console panel (written in React and Reduct), permits to examine objects in context now.
- The rel=”preload” attribute has been disabled once more.
- New -screenshot flag for the headless mode of Firefox.
- useful resource:// URIs do not leak data anymore.
- Plenty of Quantum CSS, WebExtensions modifications. Seek the advice of the useful resource part beneath for hyperlinks to the knowledge.
- Social API is totally eliminated.
- Legacy add-ons most compatibility is ready to 56.*. Builders can not add legacy add-ons with the next most compatibility.
Firefox 57.zero for Android
- Solely helps WebExtensions. Legacy add-on help dropped.
- Options efficiency enhancements for quicker web page load occasions and higher stability.
- New Tab web page up to date.
- Video decoding shuts down robotically when the taking part in tab is shipped to the background. Will resume robotically when introduced again to the foreground. Audio continues to play.
- Monitoring safety exterior of personal searching supported.
- Non-public mode robotically enabled on appropriate keyboards when in non-public searching mode.
- Lengthy URLs may be scrolled now within the handle bar.
- Added wo locale.
Safety updates / fixes
Might be added as soon as they’re printed.
Further data / sources
Now Learn: The state of Mozilla Firefox