Firefox 57 will ship with a redesigned new Tab Web page that shows extra content material to the person when it’s opened.
Firefox customers have full management over what’s displayed on the web page; Mozilla plans to launch the browser with choices to show off any module that’s displayed on Firefox’s New Tab web page, however it’s also attainable to put in add-ons that change the default web page.
You’ll be able to try New Tab Override as an illustration which supplies you much more management over the New Tab web page of the Firefox net browser.
I previewed the modifications of the Firefox 57 New Tab web page right here, and I counsel you test them out as they nonetheless maintain true.
Mainly, what Firefox shows by default is a search field, a prime websites part that’s prefilled for brand new installations and new customers, and a highlights part. Prime Tales, one other new function showcased in earlier months in Firefox Nightly shouldn’t be proven in latest variations anymore; it’s unclear proper now whether or not will probably be a part of Firefox 57.
Disable highlights on the Firefox New Tab Web page
Mozilla defines highlights as a “method again to fascinating stuff you’ve lately visited or bookmarked”.
Mainly, what Firefox does is show websites you visited or bookmarked lately so that you’re uncovered to those websites or pages once more, and will revisit them with a click on on them within the Firefox interface.
Highlights differ from prime websites in two distinct methods:
- Highlights could show media, e.g. an animated GIF that performs on the Firefox New Tab web page, whereas Prime websites are at all times static (thumbnail and identify).
- Highlights change usually, and so they lead often to inside pages of a website and never the homepage.
Mozilla added choices to the Tab Web page of Firefox to disable the Highlights performance. Some customers could discover it distracting or unneeded; in case you are one among them, you are able to do the next to show it off:
- Open the New Tab web page of the Firefox net browser.
- Choose the cogwheel icon within the prime proper nook.
- Take away the checkmark from Highlights there.
Your complete Highlights part is eliminated instantly. You’ll be able to undo the change at any time by enabling the Highlights part once more in Firefox.
It’s possible you’ll flip it off utilizing Firefox preferences as effectively for those who choose that possibility:
- Load about:config?filter=browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.part.highlights within the Firefox deal with bar.
- Double-click on the choice browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.part.highlights to toggle its worth.
A worth of true means Highlights is enabled, a price of false that the function is disabled.
Tip: Learn the way to load any about:config entry instantly.
It’s possible you’ll add the choice to your Firefox person.js configuration file, or use it if you deploy Firefox.