Mozilla Firefox 55.zero has been launched by Mozilla. The official launch date of Firefox 55.zero is August eight, 2017. The brand new model of the online browser is already obtainable, and can be provided on August eight to current customers of the online browser offered that they’ve turned updates on.
Firefox 55.zero breaks compatibility with older variations of the browser and Firefox ESR. Customers who need to downgrade are suggested to again up their profiles previous to putting in the replace.
Firefox Beta, Nightly and ESR variations are additionally up to date on the day. Firefox Beta is moved to Firefox 56.zero, Firefox Nightly to Firefox 57.zero, and Firefox ESR to 52.three.
- You can’t restore an older model / migrate to Firefox ESR after the improve to Firefox 55.
- Firefox 55.zero is the primary model of Firefox that strikes straight from Nightly to Beta.
- The brand new WebExtensions permissions programs is enabled.
Firefox 55.zero obtain and replace
Direct obtain hyperlinks for Firefox set up recordsdata:
Firefox 55.zero Modifications
WebExtensions Permissions system is stay
Firefox 55 ships with a permissions system for WebExtensions. These are exhibited to the person throughout set up of a WebExtension within the internet browser, and through updates if new permissions are requested.
A dialog is exhibited to the person each time a WebExtension is put in that requires permissions, and when a WebExtension is up to date that requires new permissions.
Firefox lists the requested permissions, e.g. entry browser tabs, and customers could proceed with the set up or replace by deciding on “add” or “replace”, or cancel the method.
Adobe Flash plugin restrictions
Mozilla set the Adobe Flash plugin to click-to-play by default, and determined to limit Flash to http and https pages.
Mozilla notes that the change is rolled out steadily, and might not be seen instantly to all customers.
- 5% of customers two weeks after launch.
- 25% of customers a month after launch.
- 100% of customers six weeks after launch.
Search recommendations enabled by default
Search recommendations, these displayed within the Firefox tackle bar when a person begins to sort, at the moment are enabled for all customers besides those that have opted out.
Firefox customers can handle search engines like google and recommendations by loading about:preferences#search within the browser’s tackle bar.
Customers who don’t need or require search recommendations can flip them off by eradicating the checkmark from “present search recommendations” and “present search recommendations in location bar outcomes”.
New “Efficiency” part in Settings
Firefox 55 ships with a brand new efficiency part in Settings. Firefox customers could choose to run the browser with the really helpful efficiency settings, or customise the next performance-related choices:
- Toggle acceleration.
- Set a content material course of limits for multi-process performance.
Web page Shot screenshot performance
Firefox 55 customers could discover a brand new screenshots icon within the Firefox primary toolbar. This icon just isn’t seen to all customers at launch, as Mozilla needs to run an A/B take a look at first.
These Firefox customers who’ve it of their browser already could use it to seize a area of the online browser, or a web page, and reserve it domestically or on-line on https://screenshots.firefox.com/.
Different Firefox 55.zero modifications
- Added Belorussian locale
- Assign customized shortcuts to Firefox on Mac OS X by way of System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts.
- Firefox 55 marks the start of theme help. The browser.theme.replace API is on the market which options related capabilities as Firefox light-weight themes.
- Geolocation API requires safe origin. Identical is true for Storage API.
- Loading of combined content material allowed on localhost.
- Print preview characteristic to simplify print jobs.
- Distant jar recordsdata usually are not loaded by default anymore. Mozilla disabled help for the jar: protocol again in Firefox 45, however needed to re-enable it as a result of it broke IBM iNotes performance. Firefox 55 disables jar: once more as IBM up to date iNotes in order that it now not requires distant jars. Firefox customers who require the performance could change community.jar.block-remote-files to false to revive it. (Bug 1329336)
- Sidebar will be moved to the appropriate.
- Help for WebVR.
- WebExtensions efficiency enhancements, e.g. host matching, lazy loading APIs and extra.
- Home windows Stub installer simplified, possibility to pick out set up listing or program shortcuts eliminated. Firefox customers want to make use of the total installer for these choices.
- about:debugging web page modifications. Short-term add-ons are listed on the prime, a take away button is now obtainable, and assistance is proven if an extension has a short lived ID.
- Extensions could disable WebRTC.
- Community Monitor: present conceal columns, distant IP, protocol, scheme, cookies and set cookies columns, filtering of community requests by column values and different properties, and common expressions.
- New APIs: Collaborative Scheduling of Background Duties API, WebVR 1.1 API, Intersection Observer API.
- Proxy API to insert proxy configuration recordsdata into Firefox.
- runtime.onMessageExternal API carried out to permit communication between WebExtensions add-ons.
- Help for EME on insecure contexts deprecated.
- webRequest API enhancements, e.g. declining requests earlier than cookies are processed.
Firefox 55.zero for Android
The next options are new or modified on Android (other than those who had been talked about already for Firefox for the desktop):
- Choice to zoom with one hand utilizing double faucet and drag gestures.
- Greek and Lao locales added.
- Accessibility settings have an choice to respect the system’s font dimension when displaying internet pages.
Safety updates / fixes
Safety modifications are introduced after the official launch. We’ll replace the evaluate when Mozilla publishes them.
Extra info / sources
Now Learn: The state of Mozilla Firefox