Mozilla Firefox 57 can be launched right this moment; we’ve got reviewed the brand new model of the net browser yesterday already. The brand new model comes with mild and shadow; mild, as a result of it’s sooner and extra responsive throughout the board, and shadow, as a result of it dropped the previous add-on system which Mozilla now calls legacy extensions.
All basic Firefox add-ons that aren’t WebExtensions on the time if you replace to Firefox 57 are disabled routinely, and moved to the “new” legacy extensions part on about:addons.
Whereas there’s a probability that some could get up to date to be appropriate with Firefox’s new extensions system, some will not.
That is unhealthy if you happen to depend on these extensions, and do not or cannot use the browser with out them. We printed a information on operating legacy extensions as soon as Firefox 57 comes alongside already.
So far as assist for legacy extensions is anxious, here’s a brief desk that highlights the state of affairs:
- Firefox 57 or newer — Doesn’t assist legacy extensions. Nightly helps a change for now, however many extensions do not work if you happen to allow it.
- Firefox ESR 52.* — The prolonged assist launch helps legacy extensions. It should achieve this till mid-2018 when the model of Firefox is upgraded to model 59.
- Third-party browsers appropriate with Firefox — Pale Moon, Waterfox and SeaMonkey can run legacy extensions. Actually, some can solely run legacy extensions and never WebExtensions.
Your two fundamental choices are to put in Firefox ESR and use it in the intervening time, or use a third-party Firefox appropriate browser as an alternative.
You possibly can run Firefox and a browser talked about as an possibility above aspect by aspect. Whereas this will not be practicable in the long term, it might assist out some customers.
Begin by downloading a duplicate of Firefox ESR from the official web site. Be aware that you shouldn’t merely run the browser in your system because it picks up the default Firefox profile by default.
You don’t need Firefox ESR to make use of the identical profile as different variations of Firefox. Which means it’s good to create a brand new profile for the browser and use it solely for it.
Tip: Take a look at our overview of Firefox command line parameters for added data.
Right here is how that’s accomplished:
- Choose “customized” throughout set up, and ensure to pick out a customized listing for the ESR recordsdata.
- Uncheck the “launch Firefox now” possibility on the final set up display screen and choose End.
- Go to the set up listing afterwards and find the firefox.exe file in it.
- It’s essential create a shortcut that factors to the file now.
- On Home windows, you’d right-click on firefox.exe and choose “Create shortcut” from the context menu.
- Home windows could not be capable of create the shortcut within the folder. If that’s the case, it suggests to create it on the desktop. Settle for that.
- Proper-click on the shortcut that you’ve created and choose properties from the menu once more.
- Find the “goal” discipline and append -no-remote -p to it. Be sure that there’s a area between the trail and the brand new parameters, e.g. “C:Program FilesMozilla Firefox ESRfirefox.exe” -no-remote -p
- Shut the window afterwards, and run the shortcut.
Firefox will launch the profile supervisor. Choose “create profile” there and comply with the profile creation wizard. I counsel you decide a descriptive identify, e.g. Firefox ESR, to tell apart it from different Firefox profiles.
After getting created the profile, run Firefox ESR utilizing it. Shut the browser afterwards once more. You may make issues a bit simpler now that you’ve created the profile:
- Proper-click on the Firefox shortcut once more and choose properties.
- Append “profilename” to the command. Doing so will load the brand new profile routinely on begin, in order that the profile supervisor is just not displayed anymore. Instance: “C:Program FilesMozilla Firefox ESRfirefox.exe” -no-remote -p “FirefoxESR”
Shifting legacy extensions
You’ve got two choices relating to putting in legacy extensions within the new Firefox ESR set up. You possibly can both do it manually, or use Firefox Sync for it.
In the event you do not use Firefox Sync but, it might be the best choice. Since it’s also possible to sync preferences, bookmarks and passwords, it’s best if it’s good to transfer these as effectively to the brand new set up.
- In Firefox ESR, load about:preferences#sync and create a brand new Sync account (or sign up to an current one).
- Choose what you wish to sync afterwards, e.g. solely extensions, or different knowledge as effectively.
- Begin the opposite Firefox set up and configure Sync there as effectively. You possibly can run these aspect by aspect on the identical gadget because of the “no-remote” parameter.
The Firefox ESR model will obtain any appropriate browser extension afterwards. This contains legacy extensions. Be aware that it might not settle for hybrid extensions comparable to NoScript.
You could want to put in older variations of these extensions manually, as you can’t set up these in Firefox ESR on the time.
You’ve got two choices right here: set up the extensions from the Firefox profile folder of the common Firefox set up, or obtain and set up them from Mozilla AMO as an alternative.
Be aware: Each strategies will not set up any customizations that you’ve made.
- Within the common Firefox model, sort about:assist and click on on the open folder button when the web page opens. This opens the Firefox profile that’s used within the default file browser on the working system.
- Open the extensions folder. Firefox lists all put in extensions in it.
- Open Firefox ESR, and cargo about:addons.
- Choose the cogwheel icon after which “set up add-on from file”.
- Open the profile location of the common Firefox model, and decide one of many extension recordsdata there.
- When you have difficulties figuring out extensions, seek the advice of the extensions part on about:assist and examine the IDs there with the file names.
You possibly can go to Mozilla AMO alternatively and obtain extensions from there.
Third-party Firefox-compatible browsers
You could use Pale Moon or Waterfox as an alternative if you happen to do not wish to use Firefox ESR. One purpose for not wanting to make use of Firefox ESR is that it is just a short lived answer.
You needn’t create a separate profile for these, as they use their very own profile folder.
There isn’t any direct possibility nonetheless to import extensions to both browser. This leaves you with the guide choices describes above.